Sometimes the feet have gotta stop runnin

Sometimes the feet have gotta stop runnin

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Locals Pull their Way to Top Honors


Rexburg, Idaho- April 2nd several hopeful climbing contestants converged on Rexburg's own Stick and Stones to compete in the first bouldering competition to grace its newly rennovated and steepened walls.
The competition was seperated into two 90-minute heats. Each climber had 5 opportunities to climb each individual problem that ranged from V0-V4 (YDS >5.10+ to 5.12c).
As the competitors lined up on the reclaimed TEVA, it was like watching the line-ups at the beginning of a marathon. There was a little jockeying for position and a little bumping and some definite posturing. However, the overall attitude was easy-going and the participants seemed to be there to just have fun. In the end, two Eastern Idaho locals emerged as the top male and female point getters. Aaron or Sven Taow a BYU-Idaho student from Pocatello and Heather Hanamaikai, a mother of 3 who recently returned to the Rexburg area from a 3 year hiatus in Wyoming, took the top honors. Emily Steadman, a BYU-Idaho student from Montana and Justin Avenius took 2nd Place. While Beth Avenius, a mother of about 4 months, from Driggs, Idaho and Chad Aldridge rounded out the winners in 3rd place.
All in all it is safe to say that the local representation is in good hands with these fine athletes. Congratulations to all of the winners and a big thank you to all of the participants.

10 comments:

Joyce said...

woot woot! Hooray for Heather! I was going to call you to see if Heather was still an art major. I spotted a used book here at work about art but then i actually read the whole title and it was the art of philosophy so I decided not to purchase the book. Guess I'll have to keep on looking for early Christmas gifts.

Amber Horspool said...

I didn't know you guys had a blog! This is a great way to keep in touch:) Now, go see ours! (Click on my name)

Newell and Julienne Fam said...

You guys need to post more pictures on your blog! You have a beautiful family! Love Julienne and fam

The Watkins Family said...

The Hanamaikai's are back, and better than ever!

We were bummed that we lost touch with you guys for so long but we are pumped to have stumbled upon you in the great blogosphere. We linked you to our blog so we will be sure to check in.

Congrats to heather for pulling big at the climbing comp. Oh how we miss the burg.

Love

Steph, Eli, and Ellis Watkins

web.mac.com/watkinses

Unknown said...

Hey Phil, I was gone for a couple of weeks for a training and came back today and my wife told me that she stumbled across your blog page and told me about it...so I had to check it out. I think my wife is addicted to blogging so she searches for other people's blogs now. Your blog site is pretty cool. I've asked about you from time to time to Caleb and he tells me what he knows. I hear your a history teacher? What grades do you teach? I hope all is well.

John Moore

depecheboy said...

Hi Phil,

Just wanted to say hi.

Robert Walker
depecheboy@earthlink.net

Lisa said...

Heather -- You are awesome! Call me soon so I can tell you about our family and hear about yours. We miss you guys,

425.771.0714

Candice said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Candice said...

Yay! I'm so glad to find your blog! :)

BTW, I'm 69% Idahoan which is great all things considered :p.

(I had to delete the previous post as I spelled Idahoan wrong.)

Brooke said...

Heather: I am glad you have a blog! Great way to keep in touch! Love Brooke & Todd